This light and healthy Winter Citrus Salad is super colorful and perfect for the season. Featuring a variety of incredible winter fruits like crunchy pomegranate seeds and tangy citrus like cara cara or blood oranges, this salad is a perfect addition to any dinner table.
I’ve made this dish on Christmas Eve for over 10 years now. After many years of having family members asking me when I was going to add this salad recipe to Weelicious, I’ve finally done it! A simple, yet delicious Winter Citrus Salad. Tangy citrus fruits, crunchy pomegranate seeds and “peppery” arugula form an out of this world combination.
Tips for Making Winter Citrus Salad
- If you want to prep this salad ahead of time for your next holiday dinner party, it’s so easy to do! You essentially get all of the ingredients ready to go the day before and store them separately in the refrigerator until you’re ready. Then, on the day, it takes literal minutes to assemble this salad. Perfect for a holiday potluck!
- This salad makes a great appetizer, side or main dish. I love how versatile it can be! Add a beautiful piece of sliced chicken or crispy chickpeas on top to add a little protein and make a full meal out of it.
- Use whatever citrus fruit that’s available to you or that you like best. This salad it very customizable as long as there is some citrus on it. Obviously navel and blood oranges are great. Cara Cara and grapefruit are beautiful additions too.
I big part of weelicious is making meal time easy for the entire family – adults and kids alike. Even before I could convince my kids to eat salad, they would devour this one. There are tons of flavors and textures that make it exciting for kids to explore! My main secret for getting kid’s to eat salad… the dressing! This Winter Citrus Salad has a delicious citrus-y vinaigrette that compliments it beautifully. If the arugula is too “spicy” for your kids, a mixed green would work perfectly as well!
More Salad Recipes
- Fall Farmers Market Salad
- Grilled Chicken, Vegetable and Avocado Salad Board
- Persimmon Burrata Salad
- Vegetarian Nicoise Salad
- Winter Farmers Market Salad
Whether it’s Thanksgiving, Christmas or just a simple family dinner, this Winter Citrus Salad is a tasty and beautiful addition to the table. Let me know what you think in the comments, or by tagging me on Instagram if you make it!
Winter Citrus Salad
For the Winter Citrus Salad:
- 16 ounces (1 bag) arugula or mixed greens
- 2 blood, cara cara and/or navel oranges, peeled and sliced or sectioned
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced
For the Dressing:
- 1 tablespoon blood, cara cara or navel orange juice
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Place the greens in a large salad bowl. Top with the blood orange slices, pomegranate seeds, almonds, shallots and fennel.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the blood orange juice, vinegar and olive oil. Pour over the salad and toss to combine.