Who doesn’t like granola?! Scrooge, that’s who. But besides him?!
Crunchy and sweet, granola is the perfect breakfast treat or snack to keep in your purse for when you and your little one need a pick me up.
This wee granola is a powerhouse of nutrition containing dried fruits, wheat germ and nuts — packed with vitamin B and magnesium to name just a few. You can easily serve the granola in a to-go cup for your toddler or pulse it in the food processor as a topping for fresh roasted peaches, yogurt or baked apples.
I always make a huge batch of this granola, sometimes even doubling the recipe so I have plenty for Kenya and other little guests who come over to play.
- 2 Cups Rolled Oats (make sure not to use the 1 minute oats)
- 1/2 Cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 Cup Cashews, chopped
- 1/2 Cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 Cup Raisins and/or Currants
- 1/4 Cup dried cherries (you could also use dried blueberries)
- 2 Tbsp wheat germ
- 1/2 Tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 Cup honey
- 1/2 Cup vegetable or canola oil
- Whole, Rice, Soy, Almond or Low fat Milk
- Preheat over to 275 degrees
- Place all the ingredients in a mixing bowl, stir until completely combined.
- Place the granola mixture on a cookie sheet and spread it out until it covers the sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Stir the granola on the cookie sheet and bake another 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and let it remain on the sheet until it’s cool before stirring (this way it will be a little crispy and chunkier which is fun for kids to break up with their spoon).
- Place a serving in a bowl and pour in milk.