This Veggie Bolognese Sauce is a simple and quick recipe to get tons of vegetables in one delicious meal. It’s super versatile and can be used on top of pasta, rice or even grilled chicken!
My home garden is in full force which means that we’ve got zucchini and thyme growing like weeds and peppers and carrots on the verge of being ready to pick. I was trying to think of the perfect recipe that would utilize this plethora of veggies and be able to be put in the freezer to have in the months to come. With that in mind, I came up with this Veggie Bolognese Sauce that absolutely delivers!
If you know me, it’s no secret that I’m not into hiding or sneaking veggies in my kids food, rather they are the stars of this naturally sweet sauce for pasta, rice, grilled chicken and more. It’s a great way to get your little ones a wide array of vegetables because this sauce is something they’ll love to devour! And since it freezes really well, you can always have this sauce ready to go in the freezer so you can whip up a quick weeknight meal!
I love this recipe for my family especially. Since I now have two vegetarians in the house, it’s great that I can make this and satisfy everyone with one meal – meat eaters and vegetarians alike can’t get enough of this one. There’s no need to make something separate for the vegetarians in your life with this Veggie Bolognese Sauce recipe!
If you’re looking for more satisfying vegetarian pasta recipes, try out some of my favorites like Pasta Primavera, Wild Mushroom Pasta, Vegetarian Skillet Lasagna and Spaghetti Squash Marinara. In fact, you could top your spaghetti squash with this veggie bolognese sauce and have even more vegetables for dinner!
Let me know what you think of this Veggie Bolognese Sauce! If you make it tag me on social media so I can see!
Veggie Bolognese Sauce
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped into chunks
- 2 small zucchinis, chopped into chunks
- 1 small onion, chopped into chunks
- 2 small garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, unsalted
- 1/2 cup water
- Place the onion chunks and garlic into a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Remove and set aside.
- Add the carrots, zucchini and red bell pepper to the food processor and pulse until chopped into small pieces.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large pot over medium heat, add the onions and garlic and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add the vegetable mixture and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Mix in the dried thyme, bay leaf, and salt.
- Add the tomato paste and stir to combine until all of the ingredients are coated.
- Add the remaining ingredients, stir, simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Toss with pasta or serve over rice or chicken.