When you’re looking for an easy dish that really impresses and just screams summer, try this Tomato Bread Salad!
When you grow your own fruits and veggies it’s so exciting to see what will pop up in your garden next. My kids have become little detectives, searching amidst the leaves and vines in our pots and planters and pointing out whenever things look ready to be picked. We’re growing a variety of different tomatoes like yellow, red, heirloom, cherry and more so coming up with a lot of different recipes to use them in is essential so nothing goes to waste.
Between the abundance of tomatoes, cornucopia of cucumbers and bountifulness of basil covering our yard, I figured this summery Tomato Bread Salad would be something everyone in my house would love….and I was right! The recipe is simple to prepare and isn’t expensive to make. The crusty bread cubes go a long way towards feeding a large family a super fresh meal.
Fresh summer produce is my favorite and I LOVE coming up with recipes for it. If you’re looking for more of them try out my Heirloom Tomato Salad, Summer Pasta Salad, Tomato Bruschetta and Chicken Paillard with Summer Salad are great! And, this salad goes great with Air Fryer Roast Chicken or Simple Broiled Salmon to name a few.
If you’re looking for a dish that screams “summertime,” you have to try this. And if I can’t convince you to start your own edible garden, this salad certainly will. The combination of fresh veggies, crispy bread with just a touch of olive oil and balsamic is so delicious yet so simple. This will be your go-to dish to bring to your summer get togethers and barbecues.
What is your favorite summer recipe to make? Give this one a try and let me know what you think!
Tomato Bread Salad
- 4 cups crusty bread (French bread or artisan rustic bread), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 4 heirloom tomatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup cucumbers, sliced
- 1 ear corn (uncooked), sliced off the cob
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chiffonade
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, sliced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the bread cubes on a sheet tray, drizzle with 2 tbsp of oil and toss to coat.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden and set aside to cool.
- Place the tomatoes, cucumber, corn, onion, basil, olives and bread in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk the remaining 2 tbsp of olive oil, balsamic, salt, pour onto the salad and toss to coat.