Summer Pasta Salad is simple, economical and so very delicious. You really can’t go wrong with this easy family-friendly dish.
Use this recipe as a side dish for a summertime barbecue or an easy meal to whip up for your kiddos (and adults too!). Summer Pasta Salad is sure to make some hungry tummies very happy.
This time of year, it seems like all I want to eat is corn. I love steaming up a bunch of ears and keeping them in the refrigerator to snack on. For little ones just starting to hold their own food, corn on the cob is a great choice. When Kenya was a toddler, he would proudly hold his ear of corn, like it was the crown jewels and would just munch away. This love has only grown for him and has become a favorite for Chloe and Gemma as well!
Corn is full of fiber as well as being high in beta-carotene, vitamin B1 and C. Corn is also a great choice because it’s economical. One of my favorite vendors at the farmers market was selling them at just $2 for 3 ears. The entire dish cost me $5.75 when I made a double batch (which serves 16) of the recipe below (I also saved a bit more because the cherry tomatoes came from our garden).
When I do buy too much corn (which is often) I love to use what’s left over and make this Summer Pasta Salad. When I’m having summer pool parties for the kids and need to feed a crowd on a budget, its perfect. Looking for a few more crowd pleasing Weelicious recipes? Try out Grilled Chicken, Vegetable and Avocado Salad Board, Tomato Bruschetta or these super simple Vegetarian Sheet Pan Nachos!
This salad feels light but is also perfectly filling. Between the corn, cherry tomatoes and asparagus, this dish is chock full of healthy veggies. With such beautiful colors, a ton of vitamins, and plenty of cheese for little ones who can’t ever get enough, Summer Pasta Salad is a choice dish.
Summer Pasta Salad
- 16 ounces pasta (fusilli, macaroni or other small pasta shape)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 ears of corn, yellow or white
- 1 pound asparagus, stems removed
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- if desired
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add 1 tbsp salt to the water and cook pasta according to package directions.
- Place the corn and asparagus in a steamer pot of boiling water and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- When the corn is cool, cut it off the cob and dice the asparagus into small pieces.
- Throughly combine all the ingredients in a bowl and season with more salt, pepper or fresh herbs if desired.