Dumpling Soup is your new go-to! It’s delicious and filled with good-for-you ingredients. Not to mention super simple to make!
Chloe loves dumplings. So much so that when we’re at the farmers market at 8am she still manages to get her dumpling fix from a local vendor. Her love for dumplings inspired me to come up with this super simple Dumpling Soup recipe. It’s healthy, healing, homemade and ready in 20 minutes!
I wanted this soup to be filled with ingredients that are good for you. Shiitake mushrooms majorly support the immune system, ginger is high in antioxidants, carrots and leafy greens like spinach help keep your body in tip top shape too! When I spooned a ladle of this Dumpling Soup into the kids bowls they were stoked to eat it up.
What I love about this recipe is that it truly is INCREDIBLY easy. If you can boil water, then you can boil broth. If you can boil broth, you can make this soup! Add bold flavors like soy sauce, ginger and garlic to the broth and dumplings and bring to a boil. It’s ready to go! Simple as that. It really is one of the quickest, easiest soups you could ever make. And if you’re like us, you’ve got frozen potstickers in your freezer at all times so making this Dumpling Soup is a no brainer.
There’s tons of options when making this soup. Feel free to play around with what veggies you add. Keep it fully vegetarian by using vegetable stock and veggie dumplings. Want some meat, have the chicken stock and chicken or pork dumplings. There’s no wrong way to make this Dumpling Soup. Believe me!
- 2 tablepoons olive oil
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 4 scallions, chopped (reserving the greens)
- 1 1/2 bags frozen potstickers or dumplings
- 1 large carrot, thinly sliced into coins or ribbons using a vegetable peeler
- 2 cups fresh spinach, chard, Chinese broccoli or baby bok choy
- toasted sesame seeds, chili oil, toasted sesame oil or cilantro
- Heat the oil in a large pot and saute the mushrooms, garlic and ginger for 2 minutes over low to medium heat.
- Add the chicken broth, sesame oil, soy sauce, salt scallion whites, carrots, bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Add potstickers or dumplings, cover and simmer for 4-5 minutes or until cooked through.
- Stir in spinach, divide into bowls and top with scallion greens, sesame seeds and additional sesame oil if desired.