There’s a misconception about Crepes that I’m hoping to correct here. Are you ready? In spite of what you may think or been told, crepes are incredibly simple to make, especially after you watch this Easy Crepes video. Ok, I said it and if you’ve never tried your hand at crepes before, my oh my are you in for a treat.
When I was 6 months pregnant with Kenya, my husband and I went to Paris for some work as well as some much needed R and R. I had actually lived in Paris for years when I was younger so I was excited to walk all over the city showing him my favorite neighborhoods and old haunts. There’s nothing like being pregnant in the most romantic city in the world and walking by patisseries and bistros all day. It’s an automatic excuse to eat a lot. As a result, we didn’t take one form of public transportation the entire trip, since I didn’t want to miss a single culinary delight and we needed to walk our multiple meals off!
One of my favorite treats are crepes. These heavenly, light, little pancakes are the perfect base for all types of fillings like mashed bananas, almond butter, fruit preserves and, dare I suggest, Nutella (very common in France).
I made crepes for Kenya and myself for breakfast and he loved them. I covered them with apple butter and rolled them into little cigar-shaped cylinders which he held and ate at his leisure. When the rest of the batch was cool, I just wrapped them up and put them in the fridge so we could still eat them for a few days.
Let me know in the comments below what you like to put inside. I’d love to know what your family’s favorite fillings are!
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- butter for sauteing
- Place all the ingredients in a blender and puree.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight (this helps the bubbles to settle and the crepes not to tear).
- Grease a saute pan or crepe pan with butter. Pour in 2 tbsp of batter and swirl to cover the pan.
- Cook for 1 minutes, flip and continue to cook another 30 seconds or until just starting to become golden.
- Remove to a plate and continue to make remaining crepes.
- Spread with apple butter, almond butter, mashed bananas, fruit preserves or any other favorite filling.
- Fold in half or roll into a cigar shape.