Apple Banana Muffins are one of my fave healthy go-to’s for breakfast, snacks, or to put in the lunch box! They’re packed with fruit, fiber and just the right amount of natural sweetness.
I’ve been making Apple Banana Muffins since Kenya and Chloe were toddlers. We used to load them up in their double stroller and go on long walks around our neighborhood, excitedly pointing out every tree and cars, singing and giggling all the while. Along our usual walking path, some of our neighbors fruit trees had branches extending over the sidewalk brimming with everything from oranges, to plums, to kumquats, and apples. There was so much of it, Kenya loved bringing along a tote bag to pick fruit (this is exactly how I was as a kid, loving every minute of picking apples from our local orchard, so, pun not intended, the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree), then we would go home and cook up something delicious with them.
You can make these muffins with all kinds of different apple varieties. Some of my favorites are Gala, Fuji, and Pippin (if you want them to be a little more tart) or any good baking apple will do nicely. The addition of the bananas in these muffins give them a divinely moist texture, while also adding some valuable nutrients like potassium.
These naturally sweet Apple and Bananas Muffin make a great breakfast, snack or lunch, but I highly encourage you to make a batch to freeze so that you always have a bunch when you need them at the ready. Keep them on hand so you have the perfect portable treat for rides to and from school, activities and yes, family walks around your own neighborhood!
Need more muffin inspiration? Especially in the fall I make Sweet Potato Muffins andPumpkin Muffins which you can also top with Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting (frosting recipe can be found in the pumpkin muffin recipe).
What’s your favorite muffin to bake? Tell me in the comments below.
Apple Banana Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- 1/2 cup agave or honey
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 medium apple, peeled and grated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the first 6 ingredients in a bowl and mix.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the remaining ingredients together.
- Slowly add the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Grease a mini or regular muffin tin or line it with muffin cups and fill each cup 3/4 full with the batter.
- Bake for 14 minutes for mini muffins or 20 minutes for regular muffins or until a toothpick comes out clean.