Ok, you’ve mastered the fine art of boiling water, now it’s time to master a new culinary technique.
One of my favorite cooking methods is steaming. Not only is it simple, but it allows vegetables, fish, chicken, fruits and other foods to retain more nutrients than by boiling them in water — and doesn’t leave them limp and flavorless.
When steamed for the ideal amount of time, food becomes absolutely tender and a great base for tons of dips, seasonings or even on their own. See just how easy it is in this fun how to steam video.
How To Steam
- greek yogurt
- 1 pound broccoli florets
- 1 pound cauliflower florets
- 4 cups baby or chopped carrots
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- 4 corn cobs, chopped into 2-inch wheels
- 2 zucchini, chopped
- Fill a pot with 1-2 inches of water, and place a steamer basket in the pot.
- Bring the water to a boil, add the veggies of choice, and cover the pot.
- Steam the veggies until fork tender, about 5-7 minutes for most bite-sized veggies.