Whole Wheat Cinnamon Banana Pancakes are the ultimate comfort breakfast. The caramelized banana center surrounded by pancake batter with warm spices is a next level flavor combo.
This weekend my mother said to me, “I was an awful cook when you were little”. I admit, part of that statement is true, but there were actually some things my mother made for breakfast that I loved. There were a lot of cereal mornings (I mean a lot), BUT there were also those mornings when my mother would muster the energy to make fresh muffins, omelets and my favorite — pancakes. Somehow those times seemed so important and someday I want my kids to have nostalgic breakfast memories of their own.
The other day I whipped up this batch of Whole Wheat Cinnamon Banana Pancakes. I didn’t want them to be out-of-the-box style, but I also had a busy morning, so they had to be quick. This recipe is a perfect option. In minutes I had delicious pancakes that were ready to be dipped in syrup. If you know you’re really going to be in a hurry, you could also mix the dry and wet ingredients in separate bowls the night before and combine them in the morning.
These pancakes are a great way to use up some ripe bananas that you have on your counter. The key to getting a super delicious caramelized banana in the center of these pancakes is to place the banana on the pan first and then envelope it with the batter. The banana cooks and gets extra yummy while the rest of the batter begins to bubble. So good! Plus, the smell of your kitchen while you make these will be incredible!
Saturday morning pancakes is sort of a tradition in our house. We make them every week! Some of our favorites at the moment are Chocolate Pancakes, Raspberry Pancakes, Quick Oatmeal Pancakes, and Cottage Cheese Pancakes.
Let me know what you think of these Whole Wheat Cinnamon Banana Pancakes by tagging me on social media when you make them!
Whole Wheat Cinnamon Banana Pancakes
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon wheat germ
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon oil, plus more for greasing the pan
- 1 banana, sliced
- Whisk the first 4 ingredients in a large bowl.
- Whisk the egg, milk and oil in a separate bowl.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk until combined.
- Heat a non stick pan or cast iron pan to medium heat. Pour a little oil in the pan and take a paper towel to evenly coat the pan (make sure not to overly grease the pan).
- Place a banana slice in the pan over low/medium heat then pour 1-2 tablespoons of batter over the banana slice to make one pancake. Cook on one side until tiny bubbles start appearing (3-4 minutes) and it firms up. You can make several pancakes in the pan at once.
- With a spatula, gently loosen the pancakes and flip them over. Continue to cook until they appear firm and cooked through.
- Cool and serve.