This White Chicken Chili is super flavorful with filling white beans and tender chicken in a delicious broth.
I assume that almost everybody has at least a few favorite recipes they grew up eating. For me, it was my mother’s White Chicken Chili. No matter what time of year it was, a bowl of this stew-like soup always made me feel comforted and happy. Like so many family recipes, the ingredient list for this delicious chili has never been written down. At my insistence a few years ago, my mom rattled off a list to me of what she put in it and ever since, using a little this, a little of that, and a lot of love, I’ve been creating my own version of this heart warming stew.
Even now when we’re on the phone with each other from across the country and I ask my mom what she and my dad are having for dinner, more times than not she’ll tell me she pulled a batch of this delectable stew out of the freezer to warm up for dinner. It’s that easy, and it’s that good.
When I’m cooking for my own family, I like to think back to the foods that I loved as a kid and try and recreate them in my kitchen. This is my version of White Chicken Chili that’s super easy to make and very healthy. It also freezes beautifully for those nights that you’re just too tired to cook. I’m sure that just a few mom’s I know can relate to that, right?
I love making soups because it’s a great way to get kids to eat when they’re feeling resistant, and also soups don’t require a ton of active cooking time so you can put them on the stove and get to doing other things. If you’re looking for more soups to try out give Chicken Tortilla Soup, Slow Cooker Chicken Chili, Beef Stew in the Crock Pot, Chicken Soup & Rice a whirl.
Let me know what you think of this recipe by tagging me on social media!
White Chicken Chili
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 pounds chicken breasts, bone-in, skinless (about 2 large breasts)
- 1 quart (32 ounces) low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 15 ounce can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen shoe peg white corn
- 1 jar diced green chilies these are mild
- 1 small lime juiced (about 2 tbsp)
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and cook onions for 4 to 5 minutes or until translucent.
- Add garlic and cook an additional minute.
- Add the whole chicken breasts, stock and salt to the saucepan, cover, bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Cook for 18-20 minutes, remove chicken to a plate and allow to cool.
- While the chicken is cooling, add the remaining ingredients to the pot.
- Remove the chicken from the bone, chop into bite-size pieces, and add to the pot.