This Vegetable Bowl is full of so many delicious vegetables plus white beans and immune boosting shiitake mushrooms! It’s packed with flavor and will be your new go-to vegetarian meal.
We’ve been making these Vegetable Bowls probably once a week, and believe it or not, even though I’m the one with the culinary chops in the house, my husband came up with this recipe! He and the kids (now that they’re getting older) have started coming up with their own culinary creations in the kitchen and it’s so much fun (and delicious!) to see what they whip up.
When my hubs started sautéing all of these veggies together a few weeks ago I couldn’t WAIT to get to sit down at the dinner table and dig in. The smell was so delicious and even better, I didn’t have to do a thing! A couple things I love about this recipe are first of all that it’s super customizable so we can add any vegetables that we have on hand and it’ll still be absolutely out of bounds yummy. And also, it’s a vegetarian meal that everyone in the family, vegetarians and meat eaters alike, can enjoy!
Now let’s talk about shiitakes. We are mushroom obsessed in our family. We try to eat some kind of mushroom once a day because not only are they scrumptious, but they’re also so good for you. Mushrooms pack a nutritional punch because they’re rich in protein, fiber and antioxidants. They promote a healthy immune system and have been known to boost your bone health! We’re so thankful that our farmers market every week is always loaded with tons of different types of mushrooms for us to taste.
These Vegetable Bowls are super filling thanks to the white beans adding so much protein (and deliciousness) to the dish. Making sure you’re getting enough protein in your diet is super important if you’re deciding to cut meat out. Thankfully with this recipe you don’t have to worry about that. The white beans, shiitakes and other veggies have got you covered.
If you’re looking for more simple vegetarian meals with mushrooms try out my Wild Mushroom Pasta, Shroom Burgers or Shiitake Veggie Stir Fry. And as always, let me know what you think of this recipe by tagging my on social media!
White Bean, Shiitake and Vegetable Bowl
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- chili flakes (optional)
- 12 shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and thinly sliced
- 1 can cannellini, navy or great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth or water
- 4 thinly sliced sun dried tomatoes (optional)
- kosher salt to taste
- fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- In a medium sauté pan over low/medium heat oil, add garlic and chili flakes and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add mushrooms and saute for 5 minutes or until tender. Remove mushrooms and set aside.
- Add beans to the sauce pan, sprinkle with salt and saute for 2 minutes. Using the back of a wooden spoon, mash half the beans, leaving the other half intact.
- Add the mushrooms back to the pan along with the broth or water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, stir in spinach, tomatoes and vinegar and simmer for 2 minutes or until spinach is wilted and desired consistency is achieved. Add more broth/water if necessary