If someone asked me my family’s top 10 recipes without a doubt Spaghetti Pie would be one of them. First of all, anything with the word “pie” in the title is an easy sell with kids and adults. Now add the word spaghetti and you’ve got an exacta!
Several people using Weelicious Menus wanted to know if I could make a vegetarian version of this Weelicious classic, so I create Vegetarian Spaghetti Pie. It’s filled with tiny pieces of vegetables, a zippy red sauce, eggs, parmesan and ricotta cheese for protein and spaghetti as the carbohydrate making it a dish with everything you need all rolled into one!
The best part is that the Vegetarian Spaghetti Pie can be made a day ahead if needed and baked 30 minutes before you’re ready to eat. Cut right into it for a big slice of a recipe that will hopefully become one of your family’s top 10 favorites too!
Vegetarian Spaghetti Pie
- 8 ounces spaghetti, cooked, about 1/2 package
- 2 large eggs, whisked
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups weelicious tomato sauce
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian herbs
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Place the cooked spaghetti in a bowl and coat with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Combine the eggs and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese in a bowl. Add the mixture to the spaghetti and stir to mix well.
- Place the spaghetti mixture into a greased deep-dish pie plate and spread to make a “pie crust”.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add the garlic, onions, red bell peppers, carrots, celery, salt and sauté for 5 minutes, until soft.
- Pour the tomato sauce over the vegetables and stir to combine.
- In a bowl stir together the ricotta cheese, the remaining 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese and Italian herbs to combine.
- Spread the Ricotta/Parmesan cheese mixture over the pasta, then layer the vegetable mixture and finally, top with the mozzarella.
- Place dish on a sheet pan and bake for 30 minutes.
- Cool, cut into wedges and serve.