This Vegan Mac and Cheese is super “cheesy”, creamy and delicious. You’d never even guess it has zero cheese whatsoever!
More and more these days, I see parents raising their kids to eat a vegan diet. That means no meat, dairy, eggs, honey or any other food derived from animal products. For many kids, that might translate to no fun. A life with no mac and cheese could be a very sad place, but luckily a vegan mom I know taught me years ago how to make this “cheesy”, full-flavored pasta dish which my kids still adore.
Instead of cheese made from cow’s milk, the recipe calls for nutritional yeast, a flakey powder rich in B vitamins that tastes just like cheese. The ingredients might seem unusual if you’re not used to them, but trust me, vegan or not, this recipe is delicious. I’d be surprised if your little one’s can tell the difference from the real thing!
Living with two vegetarians in the family, we try more and more to eat plant based as much as we can. I’m always excited when I can come up with a new vegetarian or vegan recipe that everyone loves. Lately we’ve been making Veggie Bolognese Sauce, Cauliflower Steaks, Wild Mushroom Pasta and Vegetarian Skillet Lasagna to name a few of our favorites. But there are tons more on weelicious!
This recipe takes barely any time to whip up once you’ve soaked the cashews you use to make the vegan cheese sauce. All you do is put all the ingredients in a blender and then pour over your cooked pasta. It’s super simple and a great recipe to get kids involved in making. My littlest loves pressing the button on the blender to whiz up the sauce!
Will you be trying out this Vegan Mac and Cheese? Let me know what you think if you do!
Vegan Mac & Cheese
- 1 pound pasta
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews
- 1/2 cups nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/4 cup almond, oat, soy or other plant based milk of choice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Place cashews in a medium bowl and cover with water to soak for 45 minutes up to overnight. Drain the water off the cashews before using.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, place the cashews, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, plant based milk, turmeric and salt in a blender and blend on high for 30 seconds or until creamy.
- Drain the water off the pasta and return the pasta to the pot. Pour the sauce over the pasta and stir to coat. Place the pasta over low heat stirring for 1-2 minutes or until the sauce is heated through.