Sweet, creamy, beautiful, delicious… there are so many words to describe these little Sweet Potato Apple Cheddar “Purses”. These bites are easy to pick up with your fingers and look gorgeous on a platter. You could even serve these at a fabulous cocktail party and make extras for the kids!
But back to the recipe. Purses?? Huh? Well, I found some gorgeous gala apples at the farmer’s market and was trying to think a fun and original recipe for a birthday party. I had also kept passing wonton wrappers at the market and wanted to play around with them. Apples are full of fiber and vitamin C and sweet potatoes are a powerhouse of nutrition especially given their abundance of beta-carotene and vitamin C and E.
These only took minutes to prepare and you can serve them warm or cool. You could also serve the puree on its own to babies over the age of 8 months.
Of course Kenya ate almost the entire recipe in one sitting (that seems to be the norm with him these days), so I highly recommend making a double batch!
Sweet Potato Apple Cheddar "Purses"
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 small apple, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons grated cheddar cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 10 wonton wrappers
- Place the sweet potatoes in a steamer pot over boiling water and cook for 3 minutes. Add the apples and continue to cook another 3 minutes or until fork tender.
- Place the apples, sweet potato, cheese and cinnamon in a food processor and puree until smooth. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Place a wonton wrapper on a clean surface. Place a tablespoon of the puree in the middle of the wonton. Take the four corners of the wonton wrapper and lift them up around the puree.
- Pinch the wonton wrapper corners together, just over the puree, to seal. Moisten your fingers with a little water and pinch once more to ensure a good seal.
- Repeat process with remaining wonton wrappers. When all 10 are formed into purses, place 3-5 at a time in the boiling water, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove with a slotted spoon to a plate, cool and serve.