If your kids are anything like mine, then they are absolutely ravenous during the summer. Most days it seems like I’ve barely finished cleaning up from breakfast when they’re back in the kitchen asking “when’s lunch?” Rumaging through the fridge and pantry looking for snacks, gulping down every ounce of water in sight, and leaving the kitchen looking like the Tazmanian Devil lives here with all his brothers. Please tell me this sounds familiar, and I’m not the only one!
Summer Snack Platter to the rescue! After we go to the farmers market on Sunday, I spend some time prepping various ingredients so that I can pull together a snack platter at any moment. This is a great way to have nutritious snacks available to the kids all day, and it makes a great party addition, too! We love to add Watermelon Pizzas, Rainbow Popsicles, and veggies with Hummus to our snack platters. What favorite snack would you add?!
Summer Snack Platter
- (berries, melons, kiwi, oranges, apples)
- (cucumbers, sugar snap peas, bell peppers, carrots, etc)
- peanut butter pretzels
- ice pops
- fruit leather
- hummus and other dips
- Arrange the large items first to anchor the platter.
- 2. Chop the fruits and veggies into bite sized pieces and arrange decoratively around the board along with the remaining ingredients.
- Contrast is key. Try to place dark foods next to light foods to add variety.