Once in a while I let the kids put their two cents into making a recipe they want to eat and see in their school lunch that has nothing to do with me creating it. If you know our family’s cravings and eating habits, then you would immediately know that this was created by the littlest of the tribe, Chloe. If I ask her on any given day what she wants for lunch, a snack and sometimes even dinner, it’s salami. Even when she was a new eater and had a piece for the first time she fell madly in love and couldn’t get enough. We literally had to take it away from our then toddler.
It’s a good thing you can find organic and minimally processed brands of salami because we eat our fare share. Chloe usually eats it on it’s own, but when she asked for it in her beloved bagel and cream cheese sandwich recently I thought it was a fun idea. It adds a really good texture and flavor in the way topping a bagel with smoked salmon would have.
If you’ve never tried this combo I strongly urge you to give it a try. Or better yet, get your kids involved in their lunch by letting them come up with a creative sandwich combo of their own! Serving lunch up in these awesome Laptop Lunches bento boxes makes it even more exciting.
Salami Cream Cheese Bagel Bites
- 8 everything bagel bites or 2 regular sized bagels
- 8 slices salami
- 1/3 cup cream cheese
- Slice each bagel in half.
- Spread 1 teaspoon cream cheese on each bagel bite half or 4 teaspoons cream cheese on each bagel half.
- Place 1 piece of salami on half of the bagel bites or 4 pieces of salami on half of the bagel.
- Top with the remaining bagel bites or bagel to create a sandwich.
- If using the regular bagel slice into quarters.