With the excitement of Halloween in the air there’s no better time to cook as much orange, brown and black food as possible! We make pumpkin pancakes all the time at our house, but come October I like to spice things up and fill them with a chocolate cream cheese filling. They’re like Halloween whoopie pies, only without the gnarly ingredients or food dyes of the pre-packaged ones.
Warning_ once you try these babies you may never be able to go back to regular pancakes again!
Pumpkin Pancakes Sandwiches with Chocolate Filling
- 1 cup white flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus extra for greasing the pan
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Sift the first 6 ingredients in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the rest of the pancake ingredients.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet until combined; it’s ok if there are some lumps.
- Heat a large sauté pan or griddle over medium heat and grease with oil.
- Drop about 2 tbsp of the pancake mixture onto the griddle and cook for 2 minutes on each side until golden.
- Set aside and allow to cool.
- To make the filling: In a small bowl, combine all of the ingredients for the filling until smooth.
- Place 1 tbsp of the filling between two pancakes to make a sammie.
- Continue to make the rest of the sammies.
- * Tip: For perfectly round pancakes, use an ice cream scooper to put the pancake batter onto the griddle.