Puff Pastry Berry Hearts are an incredibly simple Valentine’s dessert that your kids will love to help you with! What’s better than fresh berries, whipped cream and flaky puff pastries? I can’t think of anything!
In case you hadn’t figured it out already, Valentine’s Day is only a few days away! Of course there are straightforward gift ideas like a box of chocolates or a dozen roses you can give your loved ones, but to me there’s nothing as sweet as a simple homemade dessert like these Puff Pastry Berry Hearts to win over someone’s love forever.
With all the cold weekend nights we’ve had here in southern California this winter, my kids somehow talked me into making hot chocolate for them on a regular basis. On one of those evenings I discovered with horror that I had run out of marshmallows. There was a mutiny in my house, I tell you.
Luckily I had some whipping cream which I quickly turned into the thickest, most velvety fluff ever. It was so addictive that I started making making homemade whipped cream way more often than I probably should have — especially given how fattening it is — but if you could see the looks on my kids’ faces whenever I make it, you’d understand why I just couldn’t resist.
I had to come up with more uses for all that whipped cream and so I’ve been letting Kenya, Chloe and Gemma use heart-shaped cookie cutters in a variety of sizes to to pop out these adorable Puff Pastry Berry Hearts. We then fill them with fresh raspberries, whipped cream, and lots of their favorite toppings, creating these sweet little tarts.
Do golden puff pastry hearts filled with fresh raspberries and homemade whipped cream sound decadent? They are. Do they also sound time consuming? Yes, but — they’re not! Not to mention these special individual desserts are so enchanting they’ll make your sweetheart love you even more than before!
If you want a super simple, totally lovely Valentine’s Day dessert, this is the one for you!
Puff Pastry Berry Hearts
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon powdered sugar
- 1 package frozen puff pastry, defrosted
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries (or mixed berries)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Unfold the puff pastry and cut into hearts using heart-shaped cookie cutters.
- Place the puff pastry hearts on a baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer, or with an electric mixer whip the cream on medium- high speed for 2-3 minutes. Add the powdered sugar and beat on high for 30 more seconds or until thick and fluffy.
- Remove hearts from the oven and allow to cool completely. Slice hearts in half. Top the bottom half with whipped cream and berries, and place the other half on top to form a sandwich.