I have been making Pineapple Brown Sugar Glazed Ham for Christmas Eve dinner for the past 17 years. To say it is a family tradition would be an understatement.
My Mother in Law is the true inspiration for this reciipe as pineapple and ham are two of her favorite foods on the planet. The major feast happens on Christmas morning, so I like to keep Christmas Eve fairly simple and quick. That way we can spend more time focusing on all the family fun! To so many people, making a ham can feel like a daunting task, but that is really not the case! As you’ll see in the recipe, there really are very few steps and the payoff is huge!
Start by placing the pineapple, mustard and brown sugar into a saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir to combine and cook until the pineapple begins to soften and the brown sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes. Place the ham in a pan and coat with the pineapple sauce. Roast the ham, basting with the pineapple sauce every 30 minutes, until warmed through, about one and a half to two hours. Serve the hame topped with sauce from the roasting pan and you will have some very happy eaters!
I love the simplicity of this dish, it is super easy to throw together quickly, but the best part is the flavor. The ham gets layers and layers of flavor from the zippy mustard, tangy pineapple and especially the maple syrup and brown sugar that take this ham to the next level.
But this ham isn’t just for the winter holidays. The sweetness of the pineapple make this the perfect main course for an Easter brunch or dinner as well. Heck, you really could make this dish whenever you want. And it’s just that good, that this ham might get asked for year round! It is the perfect dish to accompany garlic roasted red potatoes, chopped brussels sprouts salad, or any of your other favorite holiday dishes.
Pineapple Brown Sugar Glazed Ham
- 2 cups chopped fresh pineapple (or 16 ounce can crushed pineapple, drained)
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 (6 pound) fully cooked, bone-in ham
- Preheat the oven to 325F degrees.
- Place the pineapple, mustard, and brown sugar in a saucepan, stir to combine, and cook over medium-low heat until the pineapple begins to soften and the brown sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes.
- Place the ham in a 13x9 inch pan and coat with the pineapple sauce.
- Roast the ham, basting with the pineapple sauce every 30 minutes, until warmed through, about 1 1/2-2 hours.
- Slice the ham and serve topped with sauce from the roasting pan.