If you’re a peanut butter fiend, these Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies are for you! They’re soft and chewy and 100% peanut butter lover approved!
I love trying to figure out how to turn recipes that would normally be considered “junk” food into nutritious snacks that you aren’t afraid to give your kids. I’m not big on totally depriving kids of junk food (I feel like that only leads to a slew of other problems in the long run), but if I can come up with a version of a cookie that doesn’t include all of the unnecessary fillers found in store bought brands, I’m making it homemade for my kids.
These Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies will have your family’s eyes popping wide open when they see them coming out of the oven. These cookies have a healthy carbohydrate from the oatmeal and a protein punch from the peanut butter — great for kids who have been active running around all day. All they’re going to care about though is that they are delicious!
I made a batch of these for an after-school snack and everyone went wild. My kids have always been obsessed with peanut butter so these were a natural fit. If you’re looking for more creative ways to use your favorite peanut butter, try out Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie, Coconut Peanut Butter Oatmeal Balls, Frozen Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Bites or Peanut Butter and Jelly Pop Tarts.
I love these cookies too because they’re super simple to whip up when we want something special for a snack or after dinner treat. And the ingredients are pretty much always in our pantry and refrigerator which makes it even easier! They’ve become one of our go-to’s lately and I’m not complaining.
Let me know what you think of this recipe by tagging me on social media!
Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup agave nectar OR 1/2 cup honey
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the butter and agave (or honey) in a bowl or a standing mixer and beat for 1 minute.
- Add the egg, vanilla and peanut butter and beat another minute on medium speed or until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine all the dry ingredients and mix to combine.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix to incorporate.
- Drop 1 tbsp of the cookie dough onto a Silpat or parchment-lined cookie sheet. Flatten down each ball of cookie dough with the back of your hand or with the back of a fork making a checkerboard pattern.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Cool and serve.