Peanut Butter and Jelly Pop-Tarts are a fan favorite in my household, and I’m sure you can understand why!
When I discovered last week that we had four (yes, four) half-eaten jars of peanut butter in the refrigerator, I was determined to not let it go to waste. There are plenty of great uses for peanut butter such as “O” Cookies, Bugs on a Log, Cold Soba Noodles and, of course, PB&J sandwiches, but when I realized that I also had a considerable amount of frozen pie dough leftover, my decision was made. Homemade “pop tarts” filled with peanut butter and strawberry preserves.
There are a few special treats that define a childhood. For me, pop-tarts were at the very top of that list. But when I learned how many preservatives the store-bought kind had in them, I was less than enthused at the thought of serving them to my own kids. So I decided to start making my own. And can you believe it? They turned out SO much more delicious than the ones I grew up eating.
The Raspberry Cream Cheese Heart Tarts we made for Valentine’s Day this year went over even bigger with my kids than they did with my husband, so I’d been planning on coming up with a new variation on them. Finding out that I had a year’s worth of peanut butter created the perfect excuse!
Kenya and Chloe were so excited when they saw these tarts come out of the oven that they actually fought over who was going to get the first one. It was sad for me to watch them get so upset, but secretly it made me happy that they were so worked up about something I made! And once they tried these delectable treats, everyone was all smiles again — especially me, who got our runaway peanut butter supply under control.
I’m so thrilled I get to share in one of my favorite treats with my kids. Minus the guilt! What’s not to love?
Peanut Butter and Jelly Pop Tarts
- 1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/4 cup preserves
- 1 recipe unbaked pie crust (you can make your own pastry dough or buy prepared crust at the grocery)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Roll the pie crust 1/4 inch thick and cut into rectangles, about 2×3 inches.
- Place one rectangle on a lightly floured work surface, top with 1 tsp each of the peanut butter and preserves in the very center. **
- Lightly dip your index finger into a cup of water and “brush” the border of the dough around the pb&j with the water (this will allow the two sides of the rectangle to adhere to one another).
- Top with another rectangular piece of pie dough. Take the tines of a fork and gently press down along the edges to adhere (making sure the mixture stays inside the tart).***
- Place the tarts on a parchment or Silpat lined baking sheet and bake for 18 minutes or until golden.
- * You can use prepared Pie Crusts too such as Pillsbury or your favorite brand
- ** You can also combine the peanut butter and preserves in a bowl and place 2 teaspoons of the mixture inside the tart.
- ** To Freeze: place tarts on a cookie sheet and freeze for one hour. Remove, place in a Ziploc bag, label and freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to eat follow steps 6-7, adding an extra 2 minutes to the baking time.