Orange Chicken is a simple weeknight dinner that’s ready in under 30 minutes. Not to mention, bursting with flavor and so easy to make!
When I was a kid, my parents used to get us take-out from our hometown Chinese restaurant, House of Hunan, and Orange Chicken was always in our to-go bag. I’m not sure if it was the sweet taste from the honey and orange or just the exotic name, but this dish was something we had to have every time we went there. Not wanting to deprive my kids of some of my childhood favorites, I came up with this healthy and delicious dinner treat that we all loved.
There’s nothing quite like Chinese takeout, but this homemade version of Orange Chicken might give it a run for its money. It’s easy, healthy and everyone will love you for making it. With just the right amount of colorful vegetables and a tangy sweet sauce my kids were lapping this Orange Chicken up. This recipe was not only easy to make, but it actually made me nostalgic for my own childhood. House of Hunan, this one’s for you!
If you’re looking for more “takeout at home” inspired recipes, try out some of my all time favorites like Mu Shu Chicken, Vegetarian Lo Mein, Shiitake Veggie Stir Fry and Asian Sautéed Shrimp. They’re all so easy to make and taste just like the restaurant takeout versions you know and love.
I love making this recipe on a busy weeknight because it’a ready in under 30 minutes. Which is perfection when everyone has had a long day and just wants something delicious to fill their bellies. Serve this orange chicken over some Perfect Brown Rice and maybe a side of Vegetarian Spring Rolls if you’ve got a little extra time. It’s also great leftover, so don’t be afraid to double this recipe to have for lunch the next day!
Will you be making this homemade Orange Chicken this week? Let me know what you think of it by tagging me on social media!
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or canola oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- 1 cup snow peas, halved
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into sticks
- Mix the first 5 ingredients in a bowl.
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat and cook the chicken cubes for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the vegetables and cook an additional 2 minutes then transfer the chicken vegetable mixture to a bowl.
- Add the sauce to the pan, bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes until reduced by half.
- Add the chicken and vegetables back into the sauce and cook an additional minute.