Mexican Egg and Cheese Quesadillas are a great, healthy breakfast to get your day started on the right foot! My family is obsessed and I know yours will be too.
I’m trying to create a lot more fun for my family at breakfast time. Even though we’re always in a rush to get to work and school, surprising my family with a new recipe first thing in the morning keeps things fresh and exciting. So I went to my pantry and came up with this Mexican Egg and Cheese Quesadilla with the items I had on hand and it was a huge hit!
I’m still all about making my tried and true standbys like Oatmeal in the Crock Pot, Cottage Cheese Pancakes and Banana Wee-Eat Germ Muffins, but sometimes letting everyone come to the breakfast table to find an unexpected treat can make the grumpiest of morning grumps feel special and a little bit better when they walk out the door.
These Mexican Egg and Cheese Quesadillas put a bunch of smiles on my gang’s faces this week and making them didn’t require a special trip to the grocery. I usually have all of the ingredients on hand, so it’s easy to throw them together — especially when I don’t have a lot of time.
I love that the kids get tons of protein, dairy and carbohydrates to give them a big morning energy boost. And not only do they love eating these quesadillas, but the fact that they can hold and dunk them in salsa, sour cream or guacamole gives new meaning to the term morning dip!
Like I said, this recipe is one of the easiest, most delicious vegetarian breakfasts you could possibly make! Melty cheese that gets crispy on the edges, protein packed black beans and eggs all in one? How could it get better than that!?
Mexican Egg & Cheese Quesadilla
- 4 large eggs, whisked
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1/4 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup cheese (mexican cheese blend, mozzarella or cheddar), grated
- 4 flour tortillas
- Whisk the eggs and salt in a bowl, Stir in the cilantro.
- Place 1 tsp of oil in a 9-inch pan over medium heat, coating the bottom of the pan (make sure to use a pan that is at least slightly larger than your tortilla).
- Pour in 1/2 of the whisked eggs, tilting the pan to spread them across evenly.
- Let the omelette cook for 20 seconds, sprinkle the beans on top then let it cook for another 20 seconds. Using your spatula, gently to go along the edges of the omelette, lifting them away from the pan to loosen.
- Sprinkle 2 tbsp of cheese on top of the omelette, place one tortilla on top of the egg and cheese and flip it onto a plate, tortilla side down.
- Slide the omelette, tortilla side-down, back into the pan. Sprinkle another 2 tbsp of cheese on top of the egg and place another tortilla on top to cover.
- Continue to cook the quesadilla for 1 minute, pressing down lightly with a spatula to help melt the cheese, then flip the quesadilla to cook the other side for an additional 30 seconds or until cheese melts and tortilla is golden.
- Cut into wedges and serve with salsa.