Want a great alternative to soda and juice for kids? These Kiddie Cocktails are so refreshing and a ton of fun to make with your kids!
When I was pregnant with Kenya, I had 2 cravings_ vegetable stir fry for breakfast (weird, I know) and sparkling water. Not once in my life had I ever desired a sip of fizzy water and there I was, for nine months straight, chugging gallons of it morning, noon and night. Throw in the juice of one lime and you have no idea how happy a 16 oz. glass of sparkling water could make a human being. I felt as if I was enjoying the most delicious cocktail known to man. I became so addicted to it that after two pregnancies, it’s still my daily drink of choice.
We’re not big fans of juice or soda in our house, but I still want the kids to have fun, tasty and hydrating drinks that are also good for them. Kenya loves watching me make my lime “soda” and recently got in on the act by creating his own version because he thinks mine is “a little too sour”. It’s delicious. With just a squeeze of juice and a bit of agave or honey, you too can turn ho-hum water into a cocktail any kid would love!
- 1 Tbsp Lime Juice (about the juice of 1 small lime)
- 2 Tsp agave nectar or honey
- 2 Cups Cold Soda Water, Selzer Water or Sparkling Water
- Pour the first 3 ingredients into a pitcher and stir until honey or agave nectar dissolves.
- Pour in two glasses with ice.
- **Tip: if you drink a lot of sparkling water in your house, I recommend getting your own sparkling water maker. I can’t abide buying bottled water anymore. It costs too much and I think is a waste of plastic. If you invest in a sparkling water maker it pays itself off pretty quickly and your cost per bottle is literally pennies. Plus, there are few jobs in the kitchen more fun for kids than getting to pump one of these. I got mine at www.sodaclub.com