Hot summer days call for cold treats like these Graham Cracker Chocolate Dipped Ice Cream Sandwiches!
What childhood memory does summertime conjure up most for you? Hurtling down a Slip N’ Slide on a hot day? Chasing fireflies at twilight? Staying up later than usual waiting for the sun to set? For me it has to be sitting by the side of a pool on a warm day, licking around the sides of an ice cream sandwich. Granted ice cream sandwiches are not as healthy as a juicy slice of watermelon or a bowl of plump strawberries, but my love for them still knows no limit.
While it’s easy enough to buy them in the store, these days I prefer making my own, especially when you consider what’s in most boxed brands. And it allows me to be creative. For instance, have you ever had your ice cream sandwiched between two honey-kissed, crispy graham crackers? If not, you may want to try this recipe on for size. When you discover in your first bite that the inside of the graham crackers are lined with the thinnest layer of chocolate it will be a taste sensation you’ll have summertime memories about for years to come!
To get the ice cream in the perfect square shape for the graham crackers, I let it get slightly softened. Then I line a glass pyrex with parchment paper (making sure the parchment slightly hangs out of the dish) and then spread the ice cream in the dish. After that it’s back into the freezer overnight. The next day when you’re ready to make your sandwiches, use your parchment edges to lift the ice cream out of the dish and cut it into the squares!
Making homemade ice cream sandwiches is surprisingly easy and I’ve created a few different versions in my day including Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches for instance. And might I say, they’re absolutely delicious! You could even cover them in DIY Magic Shell and send your taste buds straight to heaven.
Are you making ice cream sandwiches this summer?
Graham Cracker Chocolate Dipped Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 2 1/2 pints ice cream, softened (any flavor you love)
- 9 graham crackers
- melted chocolate (if desired)
- Line an 8 x 8 inch baking dish with parchment paper making sure the edges come up on two sides.
- Spread the softened ice cream evenly in the lined pan and place in the freezer overnight.
- Break the graham crackers in half so that you have 18 squares.
- Using the edges of the parchment paper, lift the ice cream on to a cutting board.
- Slice the ice cream into 9 equal squares and sandwich between two graham cracker squares. If desired, spread melted chocolate on all the graham cracker squares and press the chocolate side onto the ice cream.
- Place the ice cream sandwiches back in the freezer for at least 10 minutes before serving.