This Easy Ramen Noodle Soup is just how the name suggests — easy! It warms you up from the inside out and is filled with good-for-you ingredients!
From kids to college students to adults, I don’t know many people who don’t love a good ramen noodle soup. It’s quick, easy and not to mention super affordable! This recipe loses the little packets of powder and replaces it with ingredients you likely already have in your pantry!
There weren’t a lot of convenience foods like boxed muffin and pancake mix, cup of soup and frozen waffles in our house when I was growing up, but one item I absolutely loved whenever my mom made it for us was instant ramen noodles. She would boil water, toss in the brittle brick of tightly wound noodles, then dump in the contents of that little seasoning pack, which contained not-so-good ingredients, but man, was it tasty!
This recipe takes the idea of ramen noodle soup to a whole new level. You still get the delicious salty flavor that you’re used to in the instant variety, but I use nutritious miso to give it that incredible and irresistible umami flavor. Don’t forget your seasoning — a shake of garlic and onion powder adds a ton of added flavor to this dish — and don’t be shy about the other ingredients you can add to this soup.
Make it your own. I usually lay out a bunch of options, let everyone tell me which ones they want and personalize each person’s bowl. I discovered just how much my kids crave seaweed and shiitake mushrooms when I started putting them in my soup and then watched as they shamelessly begged for bite after bite from my bowl.
More Easy Soup Recipes
Easy Ramen Noodle Soup
- 32 ounces chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons yellow or white miso
- 2 3-ounce packages ramen noodles
- 4 shiitake mushrooms, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 cup scallions, green and white, sliced
Optional Additional Ingredients:
- fresh spinach, nori, wakame, hijiki, arame, chicken, shrimp, cubed tofu
- In a large saucepan add the chicken stock, water, miso and bring to a boil.
- Add any optional additional ingredients and cook for 3 minutes or until the ramen noodles are soft.
- Add the scallions and serve.