Gluten Free Vegan Miso Chocolate Chip Cookies are about to change your world. These decadent cookies are perfect chocolate chip cookie with a special twist.
There’s an amazing vendor at the Hollywood Farmers market who makes divine homemade miso paste. She’s as sweet as the miso she sells and uses it in different ways including soups and even cookies. The first time I tried one of her cookies I was immediately smitten. If miso is new to you I vote that you run to the grocery or Japanese market to get some fast.
Miso is a paste made from fermented soy beans. The soy beans are mixed with salt and kogi, which is what kickstarts the fermentation process. The unique flavor gives these cookies a ton of umami aka a big bold savory boost especially when mixed with CHOCOLATE!
In these cookies use white or yellow miso paste, which you can find in the refrigerator section of your grocery store. White and yellow miso have the mildest flavor but still pack a sweet and savory punch which makes these chocolate chip cookies truly unique.
There are plenty of chocolate chip cookie recipes that I love and adore such as Grain Free Chocolate Chip Cookies, Double Chocolate Chip Hemp Heart Cookies, Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake and Out of This World Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies but i have to say these Gluten Free Vegan Miso Chocolate Chip Cookies have become one of our new family favorites!
With so many food allergies and sensitivities in schools and different lifestyles choices when it comes to diet, it’s an added bonus that these cookies are dairy free, vegan, and gluten free but they still have that crispy on the outside tender on the inside texture of a chocolate chip cookie you know and love.
What is your favorite type of chocolate chip cookie? Let me know in the comments!
Gluten Free Vegan Miso Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup refined coconut oil
- 1/4 cup plant based milk (almond, soy, oat, or coconut)
- 1/4 cup white miso paste
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups gluten free flour (I use Cup4Cup)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 10 ounces vegan chocolate chips
- Place the brown sugar and coconut oil in the bowl and beat for 1 minutes or until throughly combined.
- Add milk, miso paste and vanilla and beat another minute.
- In a separate bowl whisk the gluten free flour and baking soda.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the miso mixture and beat until just combined.
- Add the chocolate chips and beat until combined.
- Place the dough covered in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a 1 inch ice cream soup or spoon place cookie balls on a parchment or silicone mat lined baking sheet.
- Using the palm of your hand or your fingers gently press the dough down into a circle.
- Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes or until golden.
- Allow cookies to rest on baking sheet for 1 minute and then transfer to a baking rack to cool.