Homemade Fruit Pop Tarts taste better than anything you can buy at the store!
As a kid I loved pop tarts whether it was from a friend’s house as my mother would never let us buy them or at a fast food restaurant like McDonald’s. The crispy crust from being deep fried, the gooey center from canned fruit and then topped with crunchy sugar on top. They may not have been good for me, but to this day my sense memory of opening one to see what was inside and then diving in for a bite is nostalgia at it’s deepest core.
The first time Chloe saw one her eyes lit up like fireworks “what’s that”. It was the boxed type of pop tart you find at the grocery that come in different flavors with food color glazed topping and sprinkles in different colors on top. I hate being that mom who says “we don’t need to buy them when we can make them”, but that’s just who I am.
Kenya and I went blueberry picking in Boston last week which is one of my favorite summer activities. We headed out into the fields with a quart box, but quickly turned around to grab a 6 quart basket as they were so incredibly sweet and delicious.
One after another we would eat one and then place one in the basket all the time talking about what we would make with them. Soon enough Kenya asked if we could make homemade Fruit Pop Tarts with a pie crust dough recipe we’ve made and used time and again.
The best part about this recipe is that you can use homemade pie crust dough or you can buy pre made and both will be flaky and the perfect canvas for your fruit. As we had pounds of blueberries that was our choice, but you can use any seasonal fruit you have on hand including raspberries, blackberries, apples, peaches, mango, nectarines and more.
Since the fruit will be naturally sweet you want to pick preserves that aren’t too sugary sweet or even whipped cream cheese to place inside. No matter what you pick they’re a perfect choice for breakfast, after school treat or to appear in a lunchbox.
What’s your favorite Fruit Pop Tart filling? Tag me @weelicious on social media to share your creations!
Fruit Pop Tarts
- 1 recipe pie dough, recipe linked below
- 1/3 cup whipped cream cheese or fruit preserves
- 3/4 cup fresh fruit
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 425F degrees.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pie dough into a large rectangle that is 1/4 inch thick. Cut the dough into 4-inch by 2-inch rectangles. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and water to make an egg wash.
- Place a piece of dough on a flat surface in front of you. Spread 1 tablespoon preserves or cream cheese in the center of the dough and top with 1 heaping tablespoon fresh fruit.
- Use your fingertip to spread the edges of the pie dough with the egg wash, and then top with another piece of dough.
- Use the tines of a fork to crimp the edges of the pie dough. Gently puncture the top dough with the fork. If you want the pop tarts to look extra golden brown, brush the tops with a little egg wash.
- Bake the pop tarts on a silpat- or parchment-lined baking sheet until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Whisk together the powdered sugar and milk until smooth.
- Allow the pop tarts to cool completely then drizzle the tops with powdered sugar glaze.