Easy Chicken Nuggets delivers on the easy part of its name, but they’re insanely delicious too. It’s a recipe request that I received tons of emails and messages about from the time I started creating recipes for Weelicious. To this day, people just discovering the site will search for a chicken nugget recipe.
How often do you pull a box of frozen chicken nuggets from the freezer at lunch or dinner time to feed your crew? Once a week? Twice? If your kid really loves them, I’d wager the number might be even higher than that. I get it. Chicken nuggets and French fries are convenient foods and most kids crave them. A kid that eats can make for a less stressed parent and so keeping several boxes of these handheld, breaded chicken saviors on hand in the freezer at all times is a strategy adopted by countless parents. However, are you familiar with the ingredients that make up your favorite chicken nugget brand? Are they pronounceable? Are they made from things you want your little one eating? I was horrified the first time I took a close look at what goes into many nugget brands. Not to mention that we’re paying for the privilege of feeding them to our families.
This homemade chicken nugget recipe is unbelievably easy to make. The nuggets are absolutely delicious and made from ingredients you can pronounce. The best part is that you can make a huge batch and freeze them for future meals, so not only do they save on the expense of boxed nuggets but also the time it takes to go to the grocery to buy them.
Recently I made these chicken nuggets on Facebook Live, showing how to freeze them on sheet pans, store them in zipper bags and then bake them when you’re ready to eat ’em (just follow the baking directions below). I love that you can just bake off the amount you need, when you need them.
Crispy on the outside, tender inside, freshly made easy chicken nuggets your kids will beg for everyday. What could be more simple, economical, nutritious and yummy than that?
Easy Chicken Nuggets
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup old fashioned oats (also known as 5 minute oats)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Place the first 6 ingredients in a food processor until chicken is finely chopped and ingredients are combined.
- Place the bread crumbs and parmesan cheese in a shallow bowl or on a plate and stir to combine.
- With moistened hands, roll 1 tablespoon of chicken mixture between your palms and flatten it into a “nugget” shape.
- Gently press nuggets into bread crumbs to evenly coat them.*
- Place nuggets on a cooling rack. Place cooling rack over a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Lightly spray nuggets with cooking spray.
- Bake for 15 minutes and serve.**
- * To freeze, place nuggets on a sheet tray after this step and freeze for one hour. Place nuggets in labeled freezer bags for up to 3 months. When ready to cook, follow the directions starting with step #6.
- ** If you want your nuggets to be golden brown, place under the broiler for 2 minutes after cooking.