We’re big fans of dates in our house. When we go to the Farmer’s Market every week, we always get a bag of them. They’re Kenya’s version of “candy”. Sweet, chewy and rich, if you put them in a wrapper, I’m sure most kids would think they really are candy. Although the dates we get are perfect just on their own, I decided to take them a step further, and try to make healthy candy bites out of them.
The recipe only takes minutes to whip up and the bites freeze beautifully, too. Well, unless you’re making them for Kenya, of course. Then they don’t have enough time to make it to the freezer. Kenya figured out where I had put my freshly-made batch, carried his little chair to the counter, opened the tin and ate a dozen of these bites within minutes. Thank goodness they’re made with nature’s sugar!
Date Nut Bites
- 1 pound dates (I used 21 medjool dates) pitted
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- Place pitted dates and walnuts in a food processor and puree until smooth.
- Place the coconut on a plate.
- Take 1 teaspoon of the date/walnut mixture and roll into balls.
- Roll the balls in the coconut to coat completely.