Crumb Cake Muffin Donuts are a marriage of three dessert favorites, and I think you can guess which ones pretty easily — cake, muffins and donuts! These little morsels make a great after school snack treat, dessert or even special breakfast!
A big, warm crumb cake takes me back to my childhood. My mom used to make them all the time for either us kids, or a neighbor or friend who she wanted to give something special to. The smell of the warm cinnamon baking in the oven used to send my senses soaring! I want to create similar sensory memories for my kids in the kitchen, and I knew just what to do. A marriage of my childhood with theirs: Crumb Cake Muffin Donuts!
I made a batch of these Crumb Cake Muffins Donuts for the kids last week for an after school snack, and they nearly lost their minds. Gemma walked in the house, and yelled in delight, “WHAT is that smell?!” To say I was happy with the reaction is an understatement. She and Chloe gobbled up a few straight away with rave reviews!
I love these donuts because even though they’re definitely a treat, they’re relatively low in sugar compared to their classic donut counterparts. They’re still absolutely delicious, but not too sweet to be served for a special weekend breakfast or along with brunch. The reason I call them muffin donuts is because the texture resembles more of a muffin consistency, but baking them in the donut pan adds a little extra fun! If you don’t have a donut pan though, you can 100% make these in a muffin tin instead. Easy peasy!
Making donuts at home doesn’t have to be super daunting either! If you’re looking for more homemade donut recipes, try out my Baked Pumpkin Doughnuts, Lemon Pound Cake Mini Doughnuts, Baked Blueberry Doughnuts or these Air Fryer Donuts.
Let me know what you think of these Crumb Cake Muffin Donuts if you make them, of course. Tag me on social media so I can see!
Crumb Cake Muffin Donuts
- donut pan
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/3 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup whole milk (plant based works too!)
- 1/4 cup sour cream or whole milk greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Crumb Topping:
- 1/4 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place all of the crumb topping ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Place the first 5 ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Place the 6 remaining ingredients in a large bowl or a standing mixer and beat for 2 minutes on medium speed or until creamy.
- Add the dry ingredients a little at a time until throughly combined making sure not to over beat.
- Grease donut pans (or muffins tin). If you only have one pan you can repeat after the first set of donuts bake.
- Place the batter in a pastry bag or a large zipper bag and using scissors, cut off 1/2 inch tip to create a pastry bag twisting the top of using a zipper bag to press the mixture out. Pipe the batter into doughnut pan.
- Sprinkle a heaping tablespoon of the crumb topping on each doughnut and gently press to adhere. Use your finger to make sure center of doughnut is uncovered.
- Bake doughnuts for 13-15 or until topping is just about to turn golden.
- Allow doughnuts to sit for 5-10 minutes for topping to set and cool before enjoying.