Chicken Soup and Rice is a classic staple when it comes to making soup. It’s hearty and delicious and the perfect thing to eat when you’re feeling under the weather or just want something comforting to eat!
When my kids are feeling under the weather and don’t feel like eating much of anything, one thing they will eat that I can always count on to help them feel better quick is this homemade Chicken Soup and Rice. It’s soothing and downright comforting and has them feeling better in no time.
I often make a huge batch of this Chicken Soup and Rice and freeze it in individual containers so that whenever anyone’s feeling under the weather, I just defrost some to make them feel warm and nourished. This healthy soup is perfect any time of year, but when it’s a chilly night and you or your little one has a runny nose, it’s even better!
This Chicken Soup and Rice is the best soup to have on hand because it’s super simple to make and everyone loves it! It’s full of veggies and chicken and while it is simple like I mentioned, it’s still full of flavor. Chloe ate so many bowls of this soup when I was making recently that I lost track!
While I think this recipe is perfect as is, feel free to spice it up by adding different types of veggies like chopped zucchini or even stir in some spinach or kale. If you’re looking for more soup recipes to fight a nasty cold try out Carrot Ginger Soup, Asian Chicken Soup, or classic Chicken Noodle Soup.
While this recipe is made from scratch Chicken Soup, it doesn’t feel like it requires THAT much more effort, and the flavor you get from the whole chicken is unmatched. Most of the time is spent letting the soup simmer so it requires very little active time cooking, which is great. Give it a try and let me know what you think!
Chicken Soup & Rice
- 1 5 pound whole chicken
- 3/4 cup long grain brown rice
- 4 quarts cold water (enough to cover the chicken)
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped into a small dice
- 3 stalks celery, chopped into small dice
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- Place all the ingredients except the parsley in a large soup pot and bring to a boil. Skim the scum and fat off surface of the soup as necessary as it’s coming to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 1 hour.
- Turn off the heat, remove the chicken from the pot and let cool.
- Discard the skin and bones from the chicken and cut or shred meat into a small dice.
- Add the chicken and parsley to the soup, reheat and serve. Feel free to add salt to taste.