I love childhood food memories. When I was a kid, we would go to this amazing pizza place called Mr. Gatti’s. Looking back, it probably wasn’t as amazing as I thought it was at the time, but to a kid, it was heaven. One of my favorite things they made there were pizza dough sticks. They were crusty on the outside and chewy inside. They were perfect for dipping in tomato sauce another one of my favorites. I could eat 100 of them in one sitting (and I probably tried to on many occasions!). I’m all about making homemade pizza dough because it’s so rewarding, but these days stores such as Trader Joe’s (it stinks that they don’t have one in every city — petition the management to open one near you) carry really good dough, some times in different flavors, so you have a lot of options.
With very little effort involved (except for the fun that kids will have helping you make them), cheesy pizza dough twists are a treat you can always have without going to the local pizza parlor. And just think of the great new memories your kids will have making and eating them!
We used these to make this recipe_
Cheesy Pizza Dough Twists
- 1 Package Whole Wheat Pizza Dough (you can also use, white or herb pizza dough)
- 1/2 Cup Asiago Cheese, gratedTomato Sauce for dipping
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Roll pizza dough on a lightly floured surface into a large square.
- Cut into long 1/2 sticks using a knife or pizza cutter.
- Place the cheese on a large plate and roll the pizza dough in the cheese as you twist the dough.
- Place the twisted pizza dough on a silpat or parchment paper cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- *Freeze after step 5 on baking sheets for 30 minutes then place in ziploc bags, label and freeze for up to 4 months. When ready, pop them in the oven and bake at 450 adding an additional 2-3 min cooking time.