Carrot Cake Pancakes are an easy way to turn one of your favorite desserts into a yummy breakfast treat. These pancakes are decadent, fluffy and incredible easy to make.
One of my kids’ self-appointed jobs at the farmers’ market every week is selecting our carrots. Prior to living in California I had only known one color of carrot… orange. But after I moved here and started buying my food at farmers’ markets I was introduced to a wide variety of fruits and vegetables beyond my wildest imagination, among them yellow and red carrots — who knew? They’re incredibly sweet and vibrant, and my family loves them.
In addition to Kenya, Chloe and Gemma’s desire to help pick the produce we eat, they also have an opinion about which vendors’ produce they like best and from whom they prefer buying. Chloe is besotted with an organic farmer who she thinks sells the best carrots ever — and they happen to be bright orange.
Most of the time we make recipes like Roast Carrot Coins or Carrot Apple Coconut Muffins, but on this particular day, we wanted to make something different with our favorite farmers market carrots. So we grated a few and added them to pancake batter and let me tell you, they were absolutely delicious.
Anytime I can get an extra veggie into my kids diet, I’m obviously 100% game. This recipe has a cup of carrots and it’s oh so yummy. I love the idea of serving these orange-ish pancakes for Easter and topping them as we did with honey cream cheese instead of maple syrup. It turns this dish into a breakfast version of carrot cake that will make all your bunnies feel like hoppin’!
Carrot Cake Pancakes for Easter Brunch
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 cup peeled and finely grated carrots (about 2 large carrots)
- 1 large egg, whisked
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoons whipped cream cheese or regular cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons honey
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and sugar. Add the grated carrots to the flour mixture and toss to coat.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, milk and oil.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined.
- Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium heat and lightly coat with butter or oil.
- Pour about 1 tablespoon of the pancake mixture onto the griddle, making as many pancakes as will fit and cook for 2 minutes.
- Flip the pancakes and cook for one minute longer.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cream cheese and honey until thoroughly combined and serve on top of the pancakes.