Breakfast Rice Cakes are a nutritious and fun way to start your day and the best way to use leftover cooked rice!
Over the years I’ve created strategies for getting meals to the table quickly. One of my go-to’s is cooking a bunch of different foods ahead of time so that I can reinvent the leftovers or mix and match to create new recipes. Examples would be sautéing ground turkey for Turkey Taco Bowls and Spaghetti Pie, Maple Roast Vegetables for Easy Breezy Roast Vegetable Salad and Roast Vegetable Soup and Perfect Brown Rice for Brown Rice Cakes and Shrimp Un-Fried Rice. If you have a simple base like roast chicken or cooked pasta plus the others I mentioned you can create two meals in one.
I always have cooked rice in my fridge and Rice Cakes are on our weekly menu plan at least once a week at one meal or another. The kids love them and since they’re vegetarian (and affordable) they can be served to Kenya as a side or main dish. Since we’ve been staying home more than ever my husband has become super creative with his cooking and eating and that’s how this recipe was born. He’s become a pro at making brown rice cakes and cake into my office one day holding one and said “try this”. I’ve had them 1001 times, so I was expecting the same taste and savory flavor profile I’ve enjoyed for years, but these were totally different. Instead of adding cheese he added a touch of sweetness. I flew in the kitchen and we played around with adding cinnamon, fresh blueberries and tested a few different types of sweeteners before landing on this recipe.
Breakfast Rice Cakes are a revelation. You can add any fresh fruits to them or leave them plain depending on your audience. You can dip them in maple syrup, honey or even leave them plain. You can slather them with greek yogurt or sour cream and even serve them for lunch, dessert or a snack. They’re crunchy on the outside, soft inside and the best part is that you can eat Breakfast Rice Cakes with your hands making them super kid friendly.
The next time you have extra cooked brown rice in your fridge make sure to whip up a batch of these Breakfast Rice Cakes.
If you make I would love to see on you social! Tag me so I can see and reshare the love!
Breakfast Rice Cakes
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 tablespoons coconut or brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries, optional
- vegetable, avocado, grapeseed, olive or canola oil (for the pan)
- toppings: maple syrup, honey, fresh berries, bananas, hemp seeds, chocolate chips, whipped cream
- Whisk the eggs in a medium bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients besides the oil and stir to combine,
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat with the oil.
- Using a 1/4 cup ice cream scooper or large spoon please a scoop of the rice cake mixture in a sauté pan and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden.
- Serve with desired toppings.