I’ve been getting really into Vietnamese street food recently and Pork Banh Mi Sammies are at the top of my favorites list.
Ethnic street food restaurants are popping up all over the country with increasing frequency and are quickly becoming all the rage. Inspired by the regional food traditionally sold (and often made) by local street vendors, they are places where you can grab a good snack or meal, generally with an international vibe and a ton of flavor too.
They’re perfect for families since they can often be more affordable then more formal restaurants, and since the food is specific to the region (or regions) of a particular country, you get to pretend you’re visiting a foreign land for an hour or so!
Banh Mi is a meat-filled sandwich made popular in the west by Vietnamese settlers in the United States. The bread traditionally used in a Vietnamese Banh Mi is a baguette, a culinary result of Vietnam’s years under French rule.
The sandwich can be stuffed with a variety of fillings, but when I made this one, stuffed with seasoned ground pork, grated pickles, carrots, cucumbers and a thick spread of mayonnaise, it was like a heaven-sent discovery for my kids. I’m talking an all around dream sammie! They couldn’t get enough of them.
You can serve these for school lunch, but they are equally at home on the dinner table.
Pork Banh Mi Sammies
- 8 ounces ground pork
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 teaspoons mayonnaise (or vegan mayonnaise)
- 1 french baguette, cut into 4 sections, and sliced lengthwise
- 2 persian cucumbers, seeds removed and grated
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 2 pickles, sliced into matchsticks
- 1/2 cup fresh mint
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat and cook the ground pork, soy sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt for 5 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Using your fingers scoop out a small amount of the soft dough on the inside of each bread slice and discard.
- Spread 2 teaspoons mayonnaise inside each baguette.
- Fill with the ground pork, cucumber slices, carrot sticks, pickles, and mint and sandwich together.