Baby Beef Stew is a super easy and delicious homemade baby food to make, and especially efficient when you’re making regular Beef Stew for the rest of your family.
There are few kitchen smells as delicious to me as the aroma of savory beef stew simmering on the stove. We were busy testing and re-testing this dish last week in the Weelicious kitchen, and literally each time someone wandered in, the first thing they would say is, “what is that smell?!”.
There’s just something so comforting and homey to almost everyone when it comes to beef stew. Most of my friends have wonderful food memories associated with this classic and hearty dish. You may be surprised at first to learn that beef stew is a perfect choice for babies when they are just starting solids because it’s packed with iron (from the beef) and has tons of flavor from the veggies. Once you puree it, it’s a perfect baby food.
When my son was almost 2 1/2, and his sister was just starting solids, he rediscovered his love for this recipe. In fact, he loved it so much, he ate it for dinner several nights in a row — pureed! Both of my daughters loved it as well when they were in starting out with solid foods. That being said, while I obviously developed this recipe for babies, it’s appeal seems to have even more wide-reaching appeal.
I do realize the picture above doesn’t necessarily look like something you’d dream of serving to your baby (or yourself for that matter), but it is serious good eating! Once I had a friend over and when she saw it in the fridge, she was curious as to what it was. After trying some, she asked me if she could bring some home to serve to her family spread on crackers like a spread.
What are your favorite homemade baby food recipes? Let me know in the comments! I always love hearing from you!
Baby Beef Stew
- 1/2 pound beef chuck boneless roast, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 small onion, chopped
- 1 carrot or 10 baby carrots, peeled and chopped into 2 inch pieces
- 1 medium yukon gold potato, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup water
- Heat the oil in a heavy bottom pot over medium/high heat.
- Add the beef chunks and sear for 2-3 minutes on each side until brown.
- Add the onions, carrots, potatoes and water.
- Stir the ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 1 hour 15 minutes or until the beef and vegetables are tender.
- Puree in a food processor until smooth or desired texture for your baby.