We try to go to the public library at least twice a month to check out books, DVDs and books on tape. I love watching my kids scour the aisles for books that interest them, and later I’m always praying we don’t lose the books they check out (we’re still working on that part). We’re big readers in our family and while I tend to buy the books I know we’ll keep forever, I often use the library as a place to borrow the books we don’t necessarily want to own long term.
My husband and I try to limit the kids’ exposure to TV characters and super heroes in our house but, without fail, whenever I take Chloe to the library, within minutes of being there, her focus locks in on any Disney princess book in sight. A few months ago she came across The Disney Princess Cookbook and insisted on checking it out. I thought she would lose interest in it after a week or two, but the exact opposite happened. She wanted to cook as many recipes from the book as possible.
The very first one she chose was this 7 Dwarf Chicken Pasta Soup and we’ve made it at least ten times since then. The best part is that it’s so easy to prepare, Chloe was able to make most of it on her own (although I cut up the chicken).
She loves slurping up the broth first and then eating all the morsels of cooked carrots, celery and chicken afterwards. Once, when she only drank the broth, I added the remaining goodies from the bowl to her school lunch the next day as a kind of deconstructed chicken soup. When she handed me her lunchbox after school, every last bite had been devoured.
Another reason the library is one of the best places in the world!
7 Dwarf Chicken Pasta Soup
- 1 pound pasta (mini wheels or any small shaped pasta)
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into small bite-sized pieces
- 2 stalks celery, sliced lengthwise in half and diced
- 2 Carrots, cut into coins
- 2 32-ounce boxes chicken broth
salt, if needed
- Place chicken broth into a medium stock pot over high heat and cover with a lid. Bring up to a boil and reduce heat to medium high heat.
- Stir in pasta, carrots and celery, cook for 2 minutes.
- Add in chicken, stir once and let simmer for an additional 5-6 minutes.
- Season with salt if needed.